Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Personal Story

I remember my middle schools days and freshman year experiences so clearly. The “cool thing’’ was to wear skater shoes, Hollister, dark eye liner, and your hair stick straight. My Friday nights consisted of going to that season’s sports event and cheer on the players. I did everything in my power to fit in, whether that be how I dress, how I acted, or what I did. I experienced conformity.
I hadn’t found myself yet, so I went with the norm. I barely had friends, or personal goals in life, or even who I wanted to be. I followed the crowd, acted and appeared like every other teenager.
Q: Being in high school yourself, do you think its easier to conform in order to fit in?
A: Yes, Everyone feels the need to be accepted. Some of them think that in order to do that they cant be their true selves because others will judge them. So, they put on a fake personality to protect themselves from others’ judgments.

I believe teen conformity can be over-looked or even forgotten. I do believe it is a teen issue that happens around us everyday. It may not be visible, but it is common. I am almost positive that everybody in their life time experiences it. In the above Q&A, I asked a close friend how they felt about teen conformity. In her responses she seemed to repeat herself about how many teens feel judged or misunderstood. The act of conformity can affect an individuals’ relationships, experiences, as well as behavior. My friend has also struggled with conformity. A few years ago, she had no friends. Her solution was to be something that she’s not. She acted, talked, appeared like the rest. Teen conformity affected her own self and her ability to discover who she really is. She had realized if someone doesn’t accept you for you, then they aren’t worth it. She had defeated her conformist ways. Now, she considers me one of her best friends, she has many more too. She knows what she wants to be in the future, where she wants to go, and what she wants to do. She has become an individual.
I believe I’m one of the luckier ones. Yes, I did the whole conformity thing, but I’m not one of them now. I have discovered my individuality. I know who I am as a person. I have goals in life. I have an amazing group of best friends who accept me for who I am. I no longer follow the crowd. I may blend in, but I do walk to the beat of my own drummer.
Experiencing conformity has affected me positively. It allowed me to accept my self and others for who they are. I no longer have to pretend to be something I’m not and can be my own person. I can be an individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment